Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And so it begins...or has it begun..I dont know

Goodness, what was I thinking with that last color scheme?!? It was gross!

Summer's here, well I guess its been here. Been doing some thinking and have decided to make moves. I've been thinking a lot about grad school, so I'm studying for the GREs and taking 3 classes in the fall at central community college Macro-economics, International Relations, and Anthropology. This is just to prepare me for going back to school in the fall of 2010 and each class has, roughly, something to do with what I want to study when I get my masters. Hopefully then by January, I'll have a better idea of what I want to study but so far I've come up with:

Boston University-MA in Global Development
University of Washington-Masters of Public Administration with a Peace Corps track
University of Colorado-Denver-Masters of Public Admin
NYU-MPA in Public and Nonprofit Management and Policy
Portland State University-Masters in Environmental Management
Milano New School Urban Policy-MA in Urban Policy Analysis and Management

I prob wont get into any of them, but, hey, I can hope!

So I just got done reading Tuesdays with Morrie and one of the things Morrie emphasized was giving back to your community. After I was done with the book, this really stayed with me. I started thinking about all my relatives. They all...well most of them...cross over here to the great U-S-of A, struggle and break their backs to provide for their families and to have nice things but rarely do you see any other connection to that country. I mean aside from the money sent home to help other family members, or the vacations, or the occasional pang of nostalia for the landscape or food, there really isnt any other physical connection (skin color and cultural traditions don't count for the sake of what Im trying to get at) or thoughts of the "old country" and it makes me sad. There is no giving back...so...after I get done with those classes, I am trying to go to Laos and volunteer at the local hospital or maybe the US embassy for a month or two while I stay with my aunt. I'm not sure how I am going to do it but I really want to. I just think it would be a great experience and an awesome opportunity to give back and really connect with the country and the people.

So thats all for now. Come August I have a trip to the east coast to look forward to! 2 days in Boston and 4 days in NYC and maybe a day in CT!

1 comment:

Robin Rentrope said...

hey are you still coming to AZ? i miss you! i love this post by the way!!! i'm glad you are feeling good about things and are looking into a path that allows you to exhibit your compassionate side. and it's also great that you are taking some classes and are thinking about going back to Laos for a bit. and yes you will get in to at least one of those programs! all my best and love.